The hymn was written by John Cennick, an English evangelist who accompanied John Wesley and George Whitefield for a time as they preached throughout Britain during the late 1730s and 1740s. He also traveled to Germany and to Ireland, serving in the Moravian church as a deacon and a lay preacher. By the end of his short life, Cennick would have preached hundreds of evangelistic sermons and planted dozens of churches in Ireland, England, and Germany.
Cennick, like many evangelical preachers during the revivals in the mid-1700s, experienced extraordinarily harsh treatment by the crowds as he preached his sermons. Ruffians would bring drums, horns, and pans to bang while Cennick preached. Someone brought a cat in a cage on one occasion, which set the neighborhood dogs wild with barking and other canine commotion. Others actually threw dead dogs at Cennick, and still others fired muskets near his face, blackening it and dulling his ears. Cennick was beaten severely at Stratton, and punched square in the nose in Upton--as he was preaching.
Threats of violence and persecution did not deter him from taking the gospel to scores of towns and villages. He was converted at 17 years of age, and preached till he died at the young age of 36 (1755). He published many of his sermons, and authored several hymns. He also compiled a number of hymnals.
This recording is particularly good, although it is not the one I played for the prisoners. Listen, enjoy, and be blessed!
Jesus my all to heaven has gone
Glory, Hallelujah!
He Whom I fix my hopes upon
Glory, Hallelujah!
Refrain:
I want a seat in Paradise
Glory, Hallelujah!
I love that union never dies
Glory, Hallelujah!
Refrain
His tracks I see and I'll pursue,
Glory, Hallelujah!
The narrow way till Him I view
Glory, Hallelujah!
Refrain
Lo, glad I come and Thou, dear Lamb
Glory, Hallelujah!
Shall take me to Thee as I am
Glory, Hallelujah!
Refrain
I'll point to Thy redeeming blood
Glory, Hallelujah!
And say, "Behold the way to God"
Glory, Hallelujah!
Refrain
I know that my Redeemer lives
Glory, Hallelujah!
What comfort that sweet sentence gives!
Glory, Hallelujah!
Refrain

No comments:
Post a Comment