“I want again to breathe your free Air. I expect it will mend my Constitution and confirm my principles. I have indeed as good an Atmosphere at home as the Climate will allow: but have nothing to brag of as to the State and Liberty of my Country. . . . So I [leave you] to pity me and pray for Liberty of Conscience [to revive among us.]”

James Madison to William Bradford of Pennsylvania, January 24, 1774

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

To Boston in the Fall


Looking forward to heading out to Boston in the morning to attend the Conference on Faith and History. The conference doesn't start till Thursday, so that will give me some time to do a little hiking on the AT near Washington in western Massachusetts.

The theme this year is "Cultural Change and Adaptation." As I look over the papers being presented, I am especially excited to hear--

Amber Thomas on postwar American evangelicalism as "therapeutic theodicy and personalized providence"

Miles Mullin on evangelicalism's search for a theology of social engagement

Mike Kugler on Voltaire, Olaudah Equiano and the question of the necessity of evil for God's sovereignty

Nick Pruitt on James Madison and the Virginia Baptists

Eric Brandt on the religious uses of liberty in the Revolution

Jonathan Riddle on the "high church alternative to Christian republicanism"

Rachel Love Monroy on theology, history, and Native Americans in New England missionary accounts

John Scott on the Moravian settlement of Georgia

Andrea Turpin on secularization in the history of higher education

Rondall Reynoso on Bob Jones University in the mid 20th century

Kenneth Minkema on Cotton Mather and the biblical Historical books

Glenn Sanders on knowledge and providence in teaching history to undergrads

Christopher Graham on discipline and evangelical sensibility in antebellum North Carolina

Matt Cromwell on American religious patriotism leading up to World War I

T. J. Tomlin on popular culture and religious authority in early America

Mark Noll is the plenary speaker, who will be speaking on Saturday from 12 to 1.

I'll be presenting a paper entitled "An Historical Overview and Theological Critique of American Exceptionalism," and it will be presented in a panel with papers on disestablishment and Pentecostalism. Should be a great deal of fun! I'll be tweeting the conference. Follow me--@DrJDWilsey



No comments:

Post a Comment