“I want again to breathe your free Air. I expect it will mend my Constitution and confirm my principles. I have indeed as good an Atmosphere at home as the Climate will allow: but have nothing to brag of as to the State and Liberty of my Country. . . . So I [leave you] to pity me and pray for Liberty of Conscience [to revive among us.]”

James Madison to William Bradford of Pennsylvania, January 24, 1774

Monday, February 13, 2012

Evan Lenow's Letter to the President

Evan Lenow, Assistant Professor of Ethics at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, has written a fine word to President Obama at his blog, "Ethics as Worship", concerning how his compromise solution to the contraception issue does not settle the religious liberty question.

In part, Dr. Lenow writes,

I humbly request that you rescind the current contraception regulation proposed by Secretary Sebelius and rescind the insurance mandate of the Affordable Care Act. These actions are a violation of your constitutional authority, and the contraceptive mandate is a violation of my guaranteed right to freedom of religion. I would like to remind you that the Bill of Rights was written “in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of [the federal government’s] powers” (Preamble to the Bill of Rights). The current mandates are both a misconstruction and abuse of powers. The First Amendment trumps these mandates.

You can read the rest of his letter here.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent letter written with conviction and no slander or malice! I agree wholeheartedly! Thank you Dr. Wilsey for sharing!

    ReplyDelete