“I want again to breathe your free Air. I expect it will mend my Constitution and confirm my principles. I have indeed as good an Atmosphere at home as the Climate will allow: but have nothing to brag of as to the State and Liberty of my Country. . . . So I [leave you] to pity me and pray for Liberty of Conscience [to revive among us.]”

James Madison to William Bradford of Pennsylvania, January 24, 1774

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Prayer for Social Justice


Almighty God, who hast created man in Thine own image; grant us grace fearlessly to contend against evil, and to make no peace with oppression; and, that we may reverently use our freedom, help us to employ it in the maintenance of justice among men and nations, to the glory of Thy holy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

-From the Book of Common Prayer, "Prayers and Thanksgivings"

The Greek inscription at the center of the Anglican compass is from John 8.32, "the truth will make you free."

No comments:

Post a Comment