Matthew Cantirino answers the question posed by Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) and Eleanor Holmes Norton to the panel testifying before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform: "Where are the women?" Cantirino is right to identify their tactic of walking out in protest as the work of bullies. He writes,
But, like all bullying tactics, it distorts reality and misses the point. For the irony underlying this misleading argument is that, actually, plenty of women are opposed to the HHS mandate. At last week’s hearing, for example, was Rep. Mary Ann Buerkle of New York, a staunch supporter of religious liberty claims. And two other women, it turns out, were waiting to testify for the panel’s second round. As Kathryn Jean Lopez at National Review notes, countless Catholic women who are engaged in this debate are highly supportive of their Church and sympathetic to the concerns about religious liberty.
“I want again to breathe your free Air. I expect it will mend my Constitution and confirm my principles. I have indeed as good an Atmosphere at home as the Climate will allow: but have nothing to brag of as to the State and Liberty of my Country. . . . So I [leave you] to pity me and pray for Liberty of Conscience [to revive among us.]”
James Madison to William Bradford of Pennsylvania, January 24, 1774
James Madison to William Bradford of Pennsylvania, January 24, 1774

Ugh. I can't even begin to explain how much it irks me that she would even think that. Who in the world voted her in? I want names and addresses;P
ReplyDelete