There is really nothing in the world like ministering the word of God to people in partnership with like minded believers and pastors. When I was a teacher and principal at Carmel Christian School in Caroline County, VA (1992-1994), I served as Minister of Announcements (unpaid, unofficial staff position) at our church, Carmel Baptist Church. There was Dave Pettit, the pastor, Philip Bennett, the worship pastor, and Bruce Etter, who taught high school, and then me--we all served the Lord together in that school and that church and enjoyed such a tremendous bond of unity and friendship while doing it. It was hard work, but they were among the best days of my life.
Preaching revival this past week at Salem First Baptist was like that. Dr. Andy DeWitt, the pastor of the church, Stephen Brubaker, Andy's friend of over thirty years, who led worship, and I each had a small part in ministering to the Salem community this week. Andy and Stephen have been friends for years, and I was the guy nobody knew. But they just took me in, and we had such an awesome time of fellowship and ministry this week. We had great theological conversations, and laughed a lot, too!
Sunday night, the three of us went out to eat and while we were looking at the menu, I said to Stephen, "How about if I order for you?" He promptly put his menu down, and said, "I'm game. Go for it." I ordered him a "Grecian" (I was corrected for saying "Greek" by the waitress--have no idea why) salad, a loaded baked potato, and the special--fried catfish with a dessert included. He ate every bite of it and loved it (except for the salad, which came with a dead minnow on the top of it which, of course, tainted the flavor of the entire thing!)
Tonight after the service, the three of us headed to the Dairy Queen for some Blizzards. Delicious. We were into some deep conversations about inspiration of Scripture, inerrancy, Pentecost, and other fascinating topics and getting pretty loud. It wasn't because the discussion was heated. All three of us were just very much into what we were saying!
We were abruptly interrupted by the humorless waitress, who said, "We're closed. Which door are y'all leaving out of?" I became pretty sure she spit in my Heath Bar Blizzard when she made it.
Andy DeWitt and Stephen Brubaker: awesome couple of godly men and pastors! God blessed me by allowing me to serve alongside them. It was a truly unforgettable experience.
“I want again to breathe your free Air. I expect it will mend my Constitution and confirm my principles. I have indeed as good an Atmosphere at home as the Climate will allow: but have nothing to brag of as to the State and Liberty of my Country. . . . So I [leave you] to pity me and pray for Liberty of Conscience [to revive among us.]”
James Madison to William Bradford of Pennsylvania, January 24, 1774
James Madison to William Bradford of Pennsylvania, January 24, 1774
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I wonder if all of us who know you got the same feeling when we read the part where you lauged a lot :) Love you buddy!
ReplyDeleteAwesome post! Sometimes ministry pays the least and the most at the same time! ....oh and you? Get loud laughing? No way!
ReplyDelete"Which door will you be leaving out of?" LOL! Wow, what a waitress! How long do you think she'll have that job?